Friday, April 24, 2009

Auto collection at Imperial Palace

Even after almost three years of living here, there are still a bunch of typical touristy/Vegas-y things that I haven't done yet. For example, Monday night this week was the first time I've seen the outdoor "Sirens" show at Treasure Island. (It's really, really dumb.) Still haven't watched the Mirage volcano erupt, either.

One of the things I've long been meaning to do is tour the famous auto collection at Imperial Palace. I decided that today was the day to check that one off of my list before hitting their poker room.

Admission is officially $8.95, but all you have to do to get in free is visit their web site (here) and print yourself a free ticket.

I'm glad I went. It's a much larger and more impressive collection than I had imagined. I took photos of more than 50 cars, and that was with exercising considerable restraint, because I felt like capturing far more of them. I uploaded them to a Picasa album here. In each case, the placard identifying the car follows the picture of the car. (Exception: The first one, which is a lovely Nash Metropolitan. I thought that the sign would show up well enough not to need a separate photo, but I was wrong.)

I spent almost 90 minutes wandering around the display, and loved it. I especially liked:

  • 1928 Mercedes-Benz S Tourer (formerly owned by Al Jolson)
  • 1933 Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow
  • 1956 Lancia Blue Ray
  • 1938 Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood Limousine (formerly owned by W.C. Fields)
  • 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC Prototype
  • 1930 Duesenberg J Murphy Town Car
  • 1925 Renault Model 45
  • 1929 Rolls Royce Springfield Phantom I
  • 1939 Bugatti Type 57C
  • 1951 Talbot-Lago T26
  • 1953 Cadillac Ghia
  • 1953 Alfa Romeo BAT5
  • 1935 BMW 319 Sport Roadster
  • 1994 Jaguar XJ 220
  • 1953 Ford Crestline Glass Top
  • 1986 Ford RS200 Evolution
  • 1939 Chrysler Royal Sedan (not because of its aesthetics, but because it was the car Johnny Carson learned to drive in, took to his prom, etc., and he eventually tracked it down, purchased it, and had it restored)
  • 1937 Ford Woody Wagon
  • 1972 Chevrolet Impala*

Whether you are interested in classics from the 1920s-1940s, the American muscle-car era, racers, or one-offs commissioned by people with too much money, you'll find plenty to ooo-and-ahhh about here.

With the Big Three U.S. carmakers all facing imminent extinction largely because they've been cranking out ugly, crappy cars that nobody wants to buy, it's wonderful to be reminded that automobiles really can be beautiful things.


*You must be thinking, "Huh? That sure doesn't belong on the list!" Well, my family had a fire-engine red 1972 Chevy Impala when I was growing up. OK, technically it was a Biscayne, but the Impala, Biscayne, and Bel Air were all essentially the same car, different options and trim levels. My parents handed it down to me when they moved on to newer cars, so I drove it for my last couple of years of high school and first year of college, generating vast numbers of fond memories. Some day when I'm rich, I'm going to find a restored one and keep it forever.

2 comments:

Grange95 said...

The 1960 Rolls Royce Phantom may be the sweetest car I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing all the pics!

Jinx said...

Heck yes, ugly American cars, couldn't agree more, we went from cars with hard lines and style to bubble mobiles, blech.