Monday, April 20, 2009

Button straddle

The other day at Harrah's I was surprised to see the button straddle being used. I had previously seen this only at the Rio, Hard Rock, and, most recently, the Stratosphere. I went to allvegaspoker.com, the best source of information about what's happening in Vegas poker rooms, and found this report confirming my observation, and noting that the rule change would also be coming to some or perhaps all Harrah's properties. Last night at Imperial Palace a dealer confirmed that they had had it going for two days.

I've previously explained my reasons for disliking it here. I have seen nothing since then to change my opinion, so I won't repeat the arguments here. This note is just to express my dismay that the thing is spreading. I hope that it stops where it is, and does not become a de facto standard in poker rooms.

3 comments:

Wolynski said...

Thanks for the explanation. I thought it horrible, but waited for a second opinion. This really makes the blinds more difficult to play.
If you have a habitual button straddler on your right, it almost makes it worth it to sit out the blinds and post one after the button - that way at least you have some position.
Were you playing at the MGM earlier today or was it someone who looked like you?

Rakewell said...

Not I.

texasredeemer said...

I almost always agree with you but not on this one.

Long live the straddle!