Saturday, May 16, 2009

Live blogging event

Gonna try something new here--frequent updates as I play an online tournament.

We're 5 minutes into the "Run Good Challenge," in which 25 of us are playing for a $1500 WSOP seat. I had a raise-and-take-in on the first hand with JJ. On about hand #8, had 3-3 and flopped a set, then just now took another pot with 10-10, so I'm sitting at 1850 (we started with 1500). Running good so far.

*******

11:16 a.m.

Did I say something about running good? Here's what just happened, all in preflop:



FML. Down to 460.

************

11:27 a.m.

A-A. Raised and picked up blinds. Bleah.

Up to 605.

***********

11:32 a.m.

On button with 9-9, shoved to a raise (to 90, blinds 15/30) from Tarheel. He folded.

Very next hand, he raised to 90 again. I decided he might fight back if I shoved again, so did. He called:





20 left, I'm in 11th place. There may be hope yet.

**********

11:38 a.m.




Got lucky with a little set-mining. Sadly, the result was knocking out one of my best friends in the poker world. :-(

**********

11:43 a.m.

Two hands later, more set-mining paid off. Can't show you the screenshot because I got moved to another table as soon as the hand ended. But I had 6-6, flop A-6-X. We got it all in because opponent had A-6 in the hole. I won.

Up to 6095. OMG, I'm in first place, with 18 left!

***********

11:47 a.m.

See?



***********

11:53 a.m.

Flopped not just a set but a full house this time! My victim, though, managed to get away from it after putting more than half his stack into the pot.



At 6920, still in first place, second place has 3955.

*************

12:02 p.m.

Tried a probably ill-advised out-of-position steal. I was running so good and had such a table image that I thought I could get away with it. Short stack (Iggy) shoved, and stacks were such that it looked like I should call, even though likely behind two big cards and coin-flipping to a lower pair.



At first break now. Still in first, with 15 players left. Second place has 3905.

***********



It was folded around to me on the button. Raising was obvious. Even before I did it, I thought that Iggy would shove with a wide range there, because he would read my move as a steal with nothing. So I couldn't give him credit for much, and thought that my Q-10 had pretty good equity against his shoving range. But just my luck, he was on the way high end of that range this time, and it cost me a lot. Down to 3rd place, but still doing fine.

************

12:15 p.m.

Another set, another potential victim slipped away.



Current status:



***********

12:25 p.m.

Ugh. The running good couldn't last, of course. All in pre.



***********

12:27

Unbelievable--yet ANOTHER flopped set! Another smallish pot.



At final table now.

************

12:30 p.m.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. That's more like it. This time I have the AA, and somebody shove-reraises on me. Oh, and the rockets hold up.



Currently in 2nd, with 6690 in chips. Chip leader way up at 13,335, and OF COURSE he's on my immediate left. 7 players left. Turning into a shove-fest quickly.

**********

12:40 p.m.

No recent big hands. Current status:



**********

12:45 p.m.

Can you believe ANOTHER flopped set???




Getting hairy. 3rd of 6 left, blinds huge.

************

12:49 p.m.

Sinking. Looking ugly at the moment. Will need a big move soon.




*************

12:59 p.m.

Couple small pots, then a nice payoff when I made the nut flush here:




Back to 2nd place, 6 left.

************

1:05 p.m.

Into 1st place, when chip leader doubled up a short stack:



************

1:07 p.m.

Second break. Status: 2nd and still alive. But luck is huge factor now.





**************

1:14 p.m.

3rd of 5 remaining. 19 BB left to play with.

************

1:19 p.m.

My first big suckout, at a crucial moment. I limped from SB. BB raised. I thought he was stealing, so shoved with A-5. Did not like getting called. But ace came along to save my sorry butt.

[Edit: Things were too hectic at that moment to get a screen shot, so he's how the hand went down.]





Now huge chip lead with 4 left.

Action now going to be too fast for further live updates. Will post summary when it's over.

*************


8:1 chiplead with 2 left!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll railing as I play some HORSE. Just missed the pot tht brought you down to 3rd. GL.

Unknown said...

Awesome finish Grump! Congrats man!

genomeboy said...

winner! nice job bob

Jason

Pauly said...

Congrats!

Spaceman said...

GG!

F-Train said...

Geeez... talk about running good!

Congrats on the victory.

Grange95 said...

"Trey Squared" is the new "Deuce-Four"