Thursday, April 29, 2010

Suck and resuck

As I wrote earlier today, my Mookie experience last night was utterly free of suckouts; as far as I can remember, every time all the chips were in, the best hand at that point held up, no matter which side of it I was on. That's pretty remarkable all by itself.

Going deep in a tournament usually involves some combination of being the suckouter and the suckoutee, and the tournament on Doyles Room certainly fulfilled that expectation.

I really wish I could animate these for you, but I can't. I just spent nearly an hour scouring the web for replayer tools that will work with Cake network hand histories. I found only one, on a poker forum site, and that one works only for embedding within posts to its forum. I found one that claims to work, but it's software for downloading, and the output is not embeddable; I would have to somehow capture the video output and post it to YouTube, then embed here, which is a royal pain.

In fact, I can't even find a hand history converter that will take Cake's text history and put it in convenient, easy-to-read format with graphics for the cards. There are zillions of such tools for other sites, but, strangely, none that I can locate that will work with Cake. I have no idea why this would be, but it seems to be the case.

So all I can do is give you the screen shots of the "last hand" screens that I captured while the game was going. It takes a minute to figure out how to read them, but they do give you all of the relevant cards and action.

First, I'll whine about the ridiculous amount of counterfeiting that I had to suffer.

Trips with best kicker turns into a chop:




Then a dominated ace goes for another chop:




Straight on the turn loses to a boat on the river:




But I got in some licks on the good side of the luckbox syndrome, too.

First, let's see if we can pair our lower kicker after all the chips go in:



As Mr. Obama might say, "Yes we can!"

In this next hand, I had the A-10 and raised, with one caller. Paired the 10 on the flop, bet and called. I was going to shut down, but then the turn gave me the ace for two pair, and I shoved. When he called, I was saying to myself, "Oh, please don't have A-Q." So, naturally, he had A-Q for the top two pair.

Can we catch a two-outer on the river?



Yes we can!

But I have saved the best for last--the ol' runner-runner trick. (Do not try this at home. I am a professional.) I'm short-stacked, so even when the flop misses me completely, I shove the last of it in with my sooooted A-K, and get snap-called by the flopped set of sixes. Oops.

But wait, there's more!

Can we catch running diamonds FTW?



Yes we can!

My opponent typed into the chat box, "Effin' BS!"

I can't blame him.

5 comments:

Big-O said...

I've tried to figure out, but I'm afraid I'm just not perhaps hip enough. What is a Mookie?

nzgreen said...

Cake purposefully obfuscate the hand histories to make it difficult for poker tracking software.

Anonymous said...

That was a flopped set of sixes

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's all fun and games when you're doing it to somebody else...

Rakewell said...

Right you are. Brain fade there. Fixed now. Thanks.