Friday, July 16, 2010

Foucault's pendulum on the upswing




Andrew Brokos, a.k.a. Foucault, continues to grow in my estimation. After another deep run in the WSOP Main Event ended yesterday, he can boast these results from its past five years:

2006: 279th, $38,759

2007: 361st, $34,664

2008: 35th, $193,000

2010: 87th, $79,806

That is a one heck of an impressive run.

His blog, in case you aren't already a reader, is a veritable free training site; i.e., he posts and analyzes hands with the kind of thought and depth that you usually have to pay big subscription fees to get from successful online professional players. He also writes occasional hand-analysis columns for Card Player magazine. And, in case you've forgotten, he was a major whistle-blower early on in the UltimateBlecch scandal.

I've never met the man, but in the few media interviews I've seen from him, he seems good-natured and humble. His passion, apart from poker, is helping develop high school debating programs, which I'm sure helps enrich the lives of many young people.

As far as I can tell, he is one of the truly good guys of poker. He certainly deserves the success and increasing attention that he is receiving.

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Yes to all you said. He's also a regular contributor to the 2+2 magazine.

Alex said...

Second the recommendation on his blog. I occasionally harbor weekend dreams of actually being a good poker player and when I look at the big names and wonder what they have that I don't, I read his blog to get my answer. Some very informative stuff.

hylen said...

He's a brainy dude, no doubt about it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Grump et al. I'm flattered, particularly by your reference to my other work as well. It's always been important to me that my life not be given over entirely to a card game.

I hate to do this, but if you'll permit me one small correction, I'm afraid I can't call myself a UB whistleblower. I've reposted some of the evidence, offered my own thoughts, and generally tried to get the word out, but I had nothing to do with the initial suspicions or investigation.

-Andrew