Monday, August 09, 2010

Little white lies

Yesterday I scored another final table and another cash in a Bodog tournament, finishing 7th out of 400+ players. The buy-in was only $10, so one had to go very deep to win much of anything. I got $110 out of it for four hours of playing, which is OK, though hardly spectacular.

Anyway, because of this recent string of success in Bodog tournaments, I had asked to cash out some of my winnings. I got the check in the mail today. I was amused to see that my Bodog account number was listed as "Employee ID," and both the check and the stub have printed on them, "Payment for Marketing Services Rendered."

I didn't even know that I had done any marketing for them! I thought I had just won some tournaments.

6 comments:

NoLimitDoc said...

When the IRS scan through your accounting records be sure to delete this post before they get to your blog.

Seriously though...how do these guys who make 3 figures a year report this?

bastinptc said...

Expect a 1099.

Minton said...

you did post about them on the blog, so I guess you did "technically" advertise for them

Rakewell said...

But THEY don't know that!

Memphis MOJO said...

Actually, I'd be surprised if you got a 1099-G.

I'm guessing the stuff written on there was to make it more likely you can cash the check without it looking like it came from a gaming site.

Rakewell said...

I agree. But it doesn't matter to me anyway, since I declare what I make.