Sunday, August 14, 2011

Which seat is best?

I've mentioned many times that Seat 1 is my usual favorite. A couple of years ago I did as detailed an explanation as could about the reasons why I prefer it, here. In that post I mentioned that I had first started thinking about the advantages of Seat 1 after reading a column in Card Player magazine touting the strategic advantages of that position, but I wasn't able to find it or remember who had written it.


Well, now I know. It was Matt Lessinger, and his column, from 2004, can be found here. I figured it out because in a recent issue of the magazine he revisits the question (for the benefit of online players forced to play live for the first time after Black Friday), with basically the same arguments. The newer column hasn't been made available online yet, so I can't link to it, but I'm happy to finally pin down and give credit to the source that seven years ago got me started on a habit that has served me well.

1 comment:

BigTikit said...

I read your earlier post but must disagree with you on seat one. It has the distinct disadvantage that you do not have a clear view of seat 9 and (partially) seat 8. Because you are always looking to the right to see the action, the dealer frequently blocks the view. This by far outweighs any potential benefits of the seat.