Friday, November 30, 2007

"We've got to go 'all-in' on Jesus"



In case the previous post didn't sufficiently leave you shaking your head, here's a little more gagitude I just found, accompanying the photo above (from http://blog.keepbelieving.com/?p=898):

Last year when I preached on doubt, I used the illustration of poker players going “all in” in order to win the game. That’s what we have to do with our faith. At some point we’ve got to go “all in” on Jesus. A few months later Pastor Greg Kuehn decided to use that phrase as a call for commitment after a sermon on Romans 12:1-2. A man in the church who does embossing offered to make these “All In for Jesus” poker chips. At the end of the service, hundreds of people came forward to receive their chip. Church members carry the chips around to remind themselves of their commitment.

Right. And I carry around a little Jesus figurine to remind me to play poker.

Addendum, November 30, 2007

See the comment below from "Short-Stacked Shamus" (and read his always insightful and well-written blog at http://hardboiledpoker.blogspot.com/). The last minute that he refers to is somebody (I can't tell who) singing a stupid song about "I'm all-in with Jesus." I was curious whether this was a real song that I could locate, so did a Google search. I didn't find anything about the song, but in the process, I came across this bit of drivel, eerily similar to the paragraph quoted above, from http://www.kofc971.org/bulletin/2004/2004-09September.pdf:

Chaplain’s Message

Perhaps you have seen recently on television the World
Series of Poker. I was at my brother’s house watching it one night and I noticed that whenever a player felt that he had a particularly strong hand, he would attempt to weaken the other players or player, or even get them out of the game outright, by, and this is the phrase they used, “going all in.” It was a risk, because if the other player had a better hand then the one going all in would be severely weakened himself or even out of the game.

Reflecting on this in light of the Gospel, I am reminded that we are asked to “go all in” with Jesus. He does not ask for half of our heart or part of our life. He wants it all! He even goes so far as to say that if we do not put him ahead of our own families, then we cannot enter the kingdom of God. Either we “go all in” with Jesus or nothing. After all, God has “gone all in” for us in Jesus; if we do not respond in kind, then God cannot respond in us....

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go throw up.


3 comments:

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Check out the very last minute of the 6/8/07 episode of PokerWire Radio -- perfect soundtrack to this here post.

Here's a link to the episode: http://www.pokerwire.com/radioArticle?aid=609

Anonymous said...

Love this top ten list---beats the usual Letterman offering!
smudger

Ray said...

Thanks for publishing a link to the post I wrote about going "All In" for Jesus. While I understand your point of view, I find the "All In" illustration an extremely effectively way to communicate what it means to trust Christ as Savior. The picture came from a visit to Sierra Bible Church in Reno where I used that illustration last year. They created those "All In" chips and gave me a stack to take home with me. I chuckled after reading your comments because just yesterday I gave two of them to visiting pastors and said they should use the idea in their own congregations. It wouldn't work in some churches for the reasons you mentioned in your earlier post on the topic. But I have used the "All In" illustration with great effect in many places. You won't be surprised to know that many church members watch those poker tournaments that ESPN televises year-round. So while we do have different viewpoints, I appreciate the link and wish you well.

Ray Pritchard