Sunday, December 14, 2008

Breaking the MGM curse




Last night I had a breakthrough.

The MGM Grand has been my nemesis. For reasons that I cannot explain, I had played there five times without having a single winning session. There is no other poker room in town in which I had that kind of record. This was particularly weird because other similarly situated low-stakes grinders tend to love the MGM as one of their most consistently profitable places of business. So last night I was bound and determined to crack whatever evil spell had been cast on me with respect to this particular room.

And I did. I played completely ABC, by-the-book, classic tight-aggressive poker and walked away up $102 after about three hours. That would not usually be cause to celebrate or for a blog post, but given the past history, it was a meangingful accomplishment. The psychological barrier has been broken down. The "loser" mantle has been cast off, and I can now enter the joint pretty much like anyplace else and play without the mental negativity of feeling like I'm doomed to lose.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same affliction with MGM Grand. I've made about 5 poker trips to Vegas with about 6 sessions at MGM Grand and I only left winner once.

I much prefer a couple of your other cash cows like Planet Hollywood and Bill's.

Anonymous said...

MGM usually has the sofest $1/$2 games.

Odd that would be your house of struggles.

GL in the future.

Ox

Anonymous said...

Try playing MGM on a Sunday morning. There are usually a few tourists trying to cram a last minute poker session in before they leave for the airport. Very soft money.

Mike said...

100$? That's considered a win these days? If I am up 100$ for the night, I consider it breakeven. LOL. Your win rate must be like 3.75$ an hour?

Anonymous said...

Good job,
I have the same thing with MGM.
Break-even feels like a win there.
The players arent great, but they're not awful either. It shouldnt be that tough, but it is.
Glad to hear you broke the curse,
hopefully you can repeat the process a couple more times and let me know what the secret is.

kurokitty said...

Five sessions is a pretty small sample, though.