Monday, December 15, 2008

My first PLO tournament

Today was the first qualifying tournament in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker series. It's the first time I've tried playing pot-limit Omaha. The results were less than spectacular.

It started nicely enough. Here's the first hand of the match:






Whee! I'm the table chip leader now!

Here comes my big boost in the leader board, a short time later:





Here's a minor hand. The opponent here was a frequent bluffer, and I was simply taking advantage of that, plus the reputation I had earned as actually having something when I bet, plus having position, plus holding the all-important deuce-four. (Notice I flopped a straight draw with it, and the 3 surely would have come on the river, had the hand played out.)



Here's my next jump up in chips. I really don't know what this guy was thinking. He appears just unable to fold aces.



I snapped this screen shot of the tournament lobby at this point, knowing from long, sad experience, that this was likely as good as it was going to get, so I wanted to preserve evidence that at one point I was doing OK:



Sure enough, the decline and fall began shortly thereafter. On this hand I flopped the nuts, but then.... well, take a look for yourself.



That was my first heartbreaker--a 71/29 favorite on the flop. I correctly guessed that he had made a straight when he raised on the turn. I wonder what would have happened if I had represented making a flush on the river with a big bet. River card pairing the board sure would have been nice.

Then another smallish loss. I didn't have much faith in my trip 6s, so didn't lose much:



The next heartbreaker will look like I lost my mind ("went crazy," as Phil Hellmuth would put it), but I really didn't. This particular opponent, as noted earlier, was not only a habitual bluffer, but had been short-stacked for a while and raising/shoving very light.



So my judgment of him was right, and I got my money in as a 53/46 favorite, according to the odds calculator at www.twodimes.net.

The fall from grace continued after I got moved to a new table:



My end then came in two swift, pathetic hands:





But on that last hand, at least I picked a decent spot, going in as a 53/47 favorite.

And thus ends the sad tale of our hero's first attempt at PLO. I hope you all kept your hankies handy.

Tomorrow's qualifier is no-limit hold'em. We'll see if I fare any better with that.

3 comments:

bastinptc said...

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of PLO. The small edges that you quote mean very little in the game. Punches in the gut are quite common. Come play .01/.02 PLO at Stars where it doesn't hurt as much as you get better at the game.

BTW, won a huge pot on the button with your 24 yesterday.

gadzooks64 said...

I scored my entry into main event but wasn't able to hang on long enough to win anything else.

At least now the rest of the events will be a freeroll for me. I can play more reckless to try to win something beyond just the seat.

Anonymous said...

Noticed you on the leaderboard right about the time your screenshot was taken, but by the time I actually got to the table to see how you were manhandling the other players, your stack was back below what we started with.