Saturday, December 04, 2010

Anyone have a fork handy?

Last night at the Orleans I had a suited 7-8. Flop 8-8-J. I get it all in against a stupid woman (I don't say that lightly; she's a local that I have played with a few times before, and she's a terrible player) who has A-J. Turn: J.

Today I went to Mandalay Bay after failing to get a balloon ride across the street at Cloud Nine. (See below.) Early on, I pick up one of the statistically best ace-cracker hands, suited 7-8. I get it all in against, yes, A-A, on a flop of 10-7-8. Turn: 10, giving him a better two pair.

Rebuy. Play very patiently on a table with two certifiable maniacs and two semi-maniacs (i.e., they don't play every hand like the maniacs, but they grossly overbet everything when they do play). Maniac #1 open-raises from under the gun to $25. This means nothing; he does it for close to 50% of his starting hands, regardless of position. Maniac #2 raises to $75. This means he has some sort of hand, but by no means necessarily a premium. I have $206. I put it all in with my K-K, confident I'll get at least one call, because Maniac #2 has only about $65 more behind. I do. He has 6-6. I even have his suits covered. The board runs out A-4-5-7-8, giving him a straight.

A few hands later I have suited Q-10 in a seven-way limped pot (a rarity at this table). Flop is Q-8-4 rainbow. Maniac #2 bets $25, meaning he has something, but not necessarily much. I put in my remaining $60. He reluctantly calls, while saying that he knows he's beat. He has just a 4, no draw. Turn: 4. River: 4. Quads for him.

That's it. I have once again reached the limit of my tolerance for such things. I'm out $800 in the first four days of the month, and feel no interest in playing again anytime soon. It's time for another break of currently undetermined duration from the game.

6 comments:

dmbfan41cnLV said...

Sorry to hear about your recent bad (ok - horrible) run of shitty luck. I do, however, applaud you for having the discipline and self control to recognize when things simply aren't going your way and stepping away from the game before it snowballs into an even bigger string of losses. You frequently mention in your commentaries how making the big lay down and waiting for a better spot in the most trivial of situations make you and others consistently winning players. While I, too, could not agree more with this line of thinking, I also believe self discipline and taking time off from the game when necessary is also one of the keys to long term success on the felt. Keep your head up man and think of this time off as a short vacation til your return.

Anonymous said...

While I agree with the previous poster that it is important to be aware of your state of mind and avoid playing when you are on tilt, I 'm surprised that you can afford to take very much time off from the game for this reason. Actually, to be honest, I'm not sure how anyone can afford to make a living playing live at 1/2 NL.

I know online grinder who can make a living playing 1/2NL online, but they are multi-tableing and are getting rakeback and other bonuses. Love to know your BB per 100 hands live. The professional online grinders I know have winrates of 1.5-2.5BB per 100 hands, and they are VERY strong player averaging around 2000 hands per hour.

I don't see how you live players make at 1/2 live, where you are lucky to see 30 hands an hour.

Anonymous said...

Here we go again! You need to get on some meds or just quit poker because if you dont have the patience to to take a few bad beats your not a pro.

astrobel said...

Hi grumpy,

I feel bad for you, that's a terribly cold deck you've been through. Take a few days off from live poker and get busy online. One of these days you may discover the beauty of being able to multi-table while getting rakeback and having accurate stats on your opponents.
By the way, that guy that has a "friend" who plays 2000 hands an hour ... one too many I think ;-) ... is he multi-tabling RUSH ?

Best wishes Rakewell.

John Hartness said...

Good thing the bloggers are coming to town this weekend to liven things up - what you need is blogger mixed game ridiculousness to forget all about silly things like getting your money in ahead! See you this weekend, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Astrobel:

Professional online muti-tablers pull in these numbers on a regular basis. (Heck, see REX55, one of the other blogger sites that Grump links to in his side panel)2000 hands an hour is very possible. Some do more.

No, this is not Rush. Rush only allows you to sit 4 times at any limit.